A One-Room Schoolhouse Desk


A few months ago I blogged about using a single piece of unique furniture to make a statement in a room. It was an old-fashioned school desk I bought at a yard sale about 12 years ago. I liked the way it looked in its new place next to the sofa in the TV room downstairs. It functions as an interesting and quirky piece of furniture, as well as a helpful side table for remotes, tissues and books and magazines. It was, however, not a finished piece. I wanted to add some color to it and clean it up too. So yesterday I went down to Stylish Patina, a fabulous new store on S Maple St in Falls Church. They sell Annie Sloan's chalk paint, which is great for woods and metals. Be on the look out for a blogpost about Stylish Patina coming in the very near future!

As you can see the desk was stained and messy. And the metal was ugly and needed some color.  I choose Emperor's Silk to go with the red sofa and rug in the TV room. I started my sanding the wood as much as I could. It takes a bit of elbow grease (I love that term - you will see it a lot in my blogs!) but I got most of the paint and marker removed. Then I vacuumed all the wood dust and wiped down the metal and started painting!

 
 
I painted the metal in a fairly sloppy manner because I wanted it to look rustic. I might still go over the paint with a light sanding to lighten the color up a bit and make the metal show through in a few places. Then I rubbed mineral oil into the wood to warm it up. It looks great! I am very happy with how it turned out!
 
 
 

Labels: