Easy Dinner :: Fish Sticks

 
 

 I tried homemade fish sticks the other night and I thought they were great! I used tilapia, but any firm white fish will work. I cut them into strips - as much as you will eat. Place two shallow bowls out - one for 1 cup corn meal and 1 cup flour mixed with salt and pepper. In the other bowl use egg whites (4) or buttermilk. We have an egg allergy in the family and for all breading purposes instead of egg white I use buttermilk. It always seems to work fine. Next dredge fish in buttermilk/egg whites mixture and then in cornmeal mixture. The recipe I used called for frying the fish in 1 cup of oil until golden brown and opaque throughout. I decided to forgo all the oil and baked them instead. So I placed them on a foil-lined baking sheet and baked them for 25 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees. They cooked through nicely, but as you can see in the final picture - there is a little  raw cornmeal mixture left on the outside - probably because I did not fry them. Oh well - I thought they tasted great AND the best part was the hom made cocktail sauce I whipped up! Did you know that cocktail sauce is just horseradish and ketchup mixed together? The fish was awesome with the Special Sauce!
 
 

 
 


Labels: